MV "St. Rognvald"

This is the MV "St. Rognvald", one of the best-looking ships ever to grace the fleet of the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Co.  She was built in 1955 to carry general cargo between Leith, Aberdeen and the northern isles, and she continued in this role until she, along with the other side-loaders, were made redundant with the arrival of drive-on loading systems in the mid-1970s.

 

She is depicted doing a bit of pitching in heavy seas.  The owner of the painting lives in Shetland.

| Login